Friday, December 17, 2010

How Can I Obtain It?

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort." 2 Corinthians 1
This verse came alive to my soul in August when Hope Reins of Raleigh opened it's doors to the hopeless and hurting. Those that felt unloved, unworthy and alone...those who struggled with life and were having a difficult time living it. I am at a loss for words trying to explain this place to you... This place where my heart and soul came alive and where children's lives are completely changed, where my life was completely changed. This place where my mind is peaceful and my thoughts are focused, a place solely for worship. Worship to this mighty God by loving his people. To see with eyes that understand, to touch with hands that convey gentleness, to laugh with genuine joy, to run with positive and freeing energy, to walk with a Graceful God who died for my sins. Here, God's plan of giving me a heart for his people was taken to an extreme...an extreme, unrealistic and mysterious love. A love that could overlook everything and anything. 
It was absolutely insane to think of how I would react to the things these children had been through...these young men and young women. Girls who had been through extreme situations and poured their hearts out to me...how would I react to this? Would I be angry, sad or upset? Confused, heartbroken, worried? There was just no telling until it all unfolded. I can't even explain JUST how incredible the times of "heart-pouring" was...intense, but, oh, so, beautiful. They were the very essence of my Savior's POWER.
Jesus, is so miraculous and tender. He patiently walks along side of me, not only during the times when others are struggling but also when I am struggling. Not only is he perfect during those times but he is gentle, loving and patient to see the process through... It is such a comforting feeling to know that if all else fails---there will alway be Jesus. No matter who leaves me---there will always be Jesus. It doesn't depend on how awful, wretched I am because--- there will.. always.. be Jesus. When everything I could possibly "offer" to Him leaves me---He will still always be who He has said He is...Jesus. HIS promises never fail me...HIS love never leaves me...HIS words never sting me... HE is always truthful, always satisfying. He is not only enough for my soul but He is MORE than I could ever possibly think of asking for, better than anything that I could ever be offered and more beautiful than anyone could ever be in my heart.
One morning a long while ago my Jesus offered me these words from John 13:34b, "Just as I have love you, you must also love each other." How does one LOVE? What does it truly mean? Does the world even know what TRUE love really is. The truth is...the love that Jesus has called me to is perfect because it is His love. I attempt to follow this command, but often fail. I know that one day, Jesus will complete me, and then, only then, this love that I so passionately yearn to give, i will have. Until then, I only witness little glimpses of it.

No comments: