Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Place of Many Metaphors

Today, I was overwhelmed with a flood (*no pun intended) of thoughts as I walked along the shore of the never-ending, all consuming ocean. I was, as usual, blown away. As I walked and walked (and became more and more windblown) I continued to think of life, and how beautiful it truly is. Then I became consumed with the ocean and consumed of the many metaphors my mind automatically ran to. 


Last week, I was stuck at home. Completely miserable. Stuck with some kind of horrendous bug. One of my friends was over and I said that I wanted to go somewhere...she asked where and I said the ocean. Then of course she retorted with the fact that it was a completely unreasonable thought and to think of somewhere new. But, you see, that's where I really, truly, and with all of my heart, wanted to go...just to the ocean. The ocean represents so much and when I feel completely void of pure and real Love, unbelievably weighted down and blinded from what life truly is...my thought is to go...and see this vastly incredible, completely inconceivable and ceaseless place. A place of peace unimaginable. A place of many metaphors.


How great is the ocean? You can see the beginning but never even imagine of seeing the end. You can choose to submerge yourself in it and venture out into the great unknown, the insane mystery that lies beneath its surface...Or you can simply gaze at its waters in adoration and longing. You see the waves. They always come. You can never stop them. Instead, you are left, with no control. They will come and quickly roll over and over, whether you decide to go in or not. The waves will always come and they will...without fail....always go. If you are out by the oceans edge for long enough, you will submit to this conclusion and, as you submerge yourself in it, you will realize just how powerful these rolls of water really are. Not only will you see the power but you witness the danger. The waves are not the only threatening part, it is also what lies beneath the them. You must admit to yourself that you really, have no clue as to what is swimming around at your ankles. You must overcome any fear.


How great is His Love for us? Oh, with Jesus' love, it never ends. While, yes, we all do know that the ocean DOES, in fact, have an ending...The King of the Universe is left to be a mystery. He gives us the choice to simply adore his love from afar and never dare to enter or to jump full fledged into it. If you decide to not advance into the water, you will, without a doubt, miss out on the great adventure of this crazy, indescribable love... But with His immense grace Jesus will patiently wait for you to leap into his risky but oh-so-worth-it waters. He will always be there waiting just for you. The waves of life do come and they reveal just how unpredictable life is...but under the surface of His love He has a plan. Just for you. A plan that must be submitted to and acknowledged. A plan that requires you to let fear go and, instead, for you to surrender to an all-knowing God.


So, God really did bless me today. He granted my wish..that I had wished a week ago. I saw the ocean, today. And now, as I gaze up at the stars I realize that no matter where I go...I can, not for one moment, ever escape His Love. It is everywhere. I see His sunset and I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Jesus who died for your sins, died for mine too. I also know that the reason He died is so that I could be submerged, without fear, into the grandeur  of His Love. I am in absolute, perfect need of this love. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great writing Anna...love it.