Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Have I Taken My Cross?

Jesus, I my cross have taken,
All to leave and follow Thee.
Destitute, despised, forsaken,
Thou from hence my all shall be.
Perish every fond ambition,
All I’ve sought or hoped or known.
Yet how rich is my condition!
God and heaven are still my own.

These words just pierced my heart. Jesus says in
Luke,"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me." This verse has always made and impact on my visual mind because I can see the picture of what this means...of what it means when JESUS the one who died on that cross says that I must ALSO pick up my own cross-- By creating this word picture He's asking, "Are you willing to do this for me?"

It's a constant struggle isn't it? To "Perish every fond ambition, all we've sought for hoped for and known"? I mean this IS crazy... to give up all your dreams in order to pick up that cross? no way..right? But this I am asking: What more can He do for YOU? What more can He do to show you His Love? He already sent His very OWN Son down to earth to be tried and to struggle and to be beaten...He sent His OWN righteous wrath upon Him...He was tortured---FOR YOU. He offers to be in a perfect relationship with YOU. So, what more can He do? What more can He do to prove this love of His? 

Instead of constantly asking Him to prove Himself again and again, why don't we just have faith in Him? Faith that He IS who He said He is and believe that He chose to love us SO much that he would not only redeem us...but adopt us as His very own. For like it says above, "How RICH is our condition? Christ is our VERY own!" 

No comments: